In addition to Shep’s helpful comment, right after I posted my last entry I discovered that the settings at m.google.com/sync apply to the Exchange sync. Apparently the Exchange sync worked in OS 2.2, so there was no reason to upgrade at all, if I had just known that.
Of course, there are some nice additional features that I got, and it was only $10, but it’s rather irritating to me that I have to set up 10 different accounts to sync my 10 different Google calendars. That seems odd, to say the least.
Anyways, perhaps this is an enhancement that will come along shortly. Meanwhile, I’ll probably just keep using the Exchange connector.